Thursday, December 22, 2005

James Baldwin

I remember reading Baldwin the first time in high school...unknown which year or how I happened upon his writing...nor in fact can I remember which book, although it was small and I enjoyed the language he used. For some reason, I think it was set in Venice--was somewhat sad and lonely. I have recently just up'd a part of my library by hitting the used bookstore. Purchased some 18 books specific to African American history and have taken the plunged into digesting them. One of the books happens to be by Baldwin...and the language--it's rawness and how it flows is amazing. I feel when I read his words that I am thinking his thoughts--the fluidity resonates....
=========

You think your pains and heartbreaks are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read. It was books that taught me that the things that tormented me were the very things that connected me with all the people who were alive, or who have ever been alive.
James Baldwin (1924 - 1987)

It is said that the camera cannot lie, but rarely do we allow it to do anything else, since the camera sees what you point it at: the camera sees what you want it to see.
James Baldwin (1924 - 1987)

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.
James Baldwin (1924 - 1987)